By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: US bans imports of Apple Series 9, Ultra due to patent dispute
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » US bans imports of Apple Series 9, Ultra due to patent dispute

US bans imports of Apple Series 9, Ultra due to patent dispute

Last updated: December 27, 2023 9:47 am
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 3 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Apple says it will appeal a US ban on imports and sales of its Series 9 and Ultra 2 watches. 

The move comes after the Biden Administration on Tuesday declined to take emergency action to lift restrictions over a patent dispute. 

Medical device maker Masimo has accused Apple of poaching its employees and technology.

This resulted in a ban on the sale and import of the Apple watches by the US International Trade Commission.

Earlier this month, Apple “pre-emptively” removed the devices from its US site and from stores in the country. Sales elsewhere have not been affected.

The USITC order, issued in October, was subject to a 60-day review by the president, who has the power to veto the decision. That review period ended on Christmas Day.

The office of the United States Trade Representative Ambassador Katherine Tai said on Tuesday that it had decided not to reverse the USITC’s decision after “careful consultations”.

Apple had asked for a stay on the ban until Customs and Border Protection (CBP) could consider if the redesigned versions of its watches, which does not include the disputed technology, violate Masimo’s patents. CBP is due to make its decision on 12 January, according to an Apple spokesperson. 

The USITC found in October that Apple infringed two patents owned by Masimo Corporation and Cercacor Laboratories, Inc, both based in the United States, 

The California-based company had accused Apple of poaching key staff and taking other steps to steal technology it developed to measure oxygen levels in the blood.

Most versions of Apple’s smart watches have included the disputed blood oxygen feature since 2020. Its lower cost SE model does not. Previously sold watches will also not be affected by the ban. 

Apple says it has also filed an emergency request for the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit to lift the ban. 

“We strongly disagree with the USITC decision and resulting exclusion order, and are taking all measures to return Apple Watch Series 9 and Apple Watch Ultra 2 to customers in the US as soon as possible,” the tech giant said in a statement on Tuesday. 

Masimo said the White House’s decision marks a significant moment. 

“This is a win for the integrity of the US patent system, and ultimately American consumers, who will benefit from an ecosystem that rewards true innovation,” according to company spokesperson.

You Might Also Like

Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition

Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive

Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment

Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally

JKUAT Student Accuses American National of Rape After Tinder Date in Westlands

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Liverpool kick out Arsenal from the top of the league after hard fought win at Burnley
Next Article Ethiopia becomes third African country to default on its debt
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition
  • Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive
  • Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment
  • Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally
  • JKUAT Student Accuses American National of Rape After Tinder Date in Westlands
  • Aisha Jumwa Responds to Duale Over Literacy Remarks
  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

You Might Also Like

Aisha Jumwa Responds to Duale Over Literacy Remarks

14 hours ago

Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay

2 days ago

Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment

14 hours ago

Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

2 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE