By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Hundreds dead as Congo River Basin rises to historic levels in 60 years
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Hundreds dead as Congo River Basin rises to historic levels in 60 years

Hundreds dead as Congo River Basin rises to historic levels in 60 years

Last updated: January 12, 2024 12:13 pm
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 3 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
Hundreds dead as Congo River basin submerged by generational floods
A view of a flooded house and a mosque after the Congo River rises to its highest level, causing flooding in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo January 10, 2024.REUTERS/Justin Makangara
SHARE

The Congo River has risen to its highest level in more than 60 years, causing flooding throughout the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Congo Republic that has killed more than 300 people over the past months, according to authorities.

Poor urban planning and weak infrastructure have made some African countries vulnerable to flash floods after intense rains, which have become more frequent due to climate change.

Ferry Mowa, a hydrology specialist at the DRC Riverways authority, part of the transport ministry, said his office had flagged the high water level in late December, warning that almost the entire flood plain of the capital Kinshasa, which sits on the banks of the river, could be affected.

On Wednesday, the river reached 6.20 meters above sea level, just shy of the 1961 record of 6.26 meters, he told Reuters, adding that the flooding had followed exceptionally high rains inland.

“It is imperative that people who live around the river move”, Mowa said.

Several neighbourhoods in DRC’s densely populated Kinshasa have flooded, as well as communities in more than a dozen provinces, the social affairs ministry said.

Nearly 300 people have died and 300,000 households have been affected, with tens of thousands of houses destroyed, it said in a statement last week.

In neighbouring Congo Republic, whose capital Brazzaville also sits on the banks across the river, at least 17 people have died in floods across eight departments including the capital, with more than 60,000 households affected, authorities told Reuters.

No Prevention Plan

Some residents used shovels to paddle their way through flooded streets where water had risen to the roof level of some homes.

The flood waters have also swept thousands of discarded plastic bottles and other debris that now clog streets.

In the Ngaliema municipality in western Kinshasa, the home of local resident Helene was plunged underwater.

“I’ve lived in this neighbourhood since I was born and I’ve never experienced such an event, but I don’t have the means to go and live elsewhere,” she said.

Raphael Tshimanga Muamba, director of a Congo Basin research centre in the DRC, called for a fund to help manage natural disasters and adapt to climate change.

He said DRC has no flood disaster prevention plan.

“I am not surprised to see that the water level is increasing to this extent,” said 18-year-old climate activist Ketsia Passou.

“What surprises me the most is the silence of the authorities in helping these families who are suffering the effects of climate change.”

DRC’s social and humanitarian affairs minister, Modeste Mutinga, told Reuters that a meeting will be held on Thursday to evaluate further humanitarian aid.

You Might Also Like

Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations

University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal

Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide

Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson

Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Burundi accuses Rwanda of being ‘Bad Neighbour’ and closes shared border
Next Article Sonko leaks audio recordings of his fall out with Conjestina Sonko leaks audio recording detailing his fallout with Conjestina Achieng
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations
  • University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal
  • Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide
  • Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson
  • Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027
  • Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash
  • Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party
  • Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness
  • Charlene Ruto and Isaya Yunge Announce Plans for White Wedding

You Might Also Like

Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash

23 hours ago

Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party

22 hours ago

Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness

23 hours ago

Charlene Ruto and Isaya Yunge Announce Plans for White Wedding

23 hours ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE