By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: UN tribunal to close Rwanda office after concluding genocide Trials
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » UN tribunal to close Rwanda office after concluding genocide Trials

UN tribunal to close Rwanda office after concluding genocide Trials

Last updated: February 17, 2024 8:09 pm
3 years ago
Share
2 Min Read
UN Rwanda
SHARE

The International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRMCT) will close its field office in Rwanda’s capital, Kigali, on Aug. 31 after completing genocide trials, an official has said.

The tribunal’s registrar, Abubacarr Tambadou, made this announcement in a statement on Friday following his visit to Rwanda, where he held talks with various senior government officials.

Set up by the UN Security Council in December 2010 to complete the remaining tasks of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, the IRMCT has operated a field office in Kigali for about three decades.

Tambadou said the office closure follows a decision by the Hague-based court to drop the case against prominent Rwanda genocide suspect Felicien Kabuga, who was deemed unfit to stand trial last year.

The mechanism, which was handling cases of the 1994 genocide against the Tutsi, no longer has any trials to conduct following the prosecutor’s conclusion that two of the remaining men on the IRMCT’s wanted list, Protais Mpiranya and Augustin Bizimana, were found to have died, he said.

“The closure of the field office does not mean disengagement with Rwanda as the mechanism will only change its approach to its work,” Tambadou said.

He added that the mechanism will continue its “mandated functions, such as witness protection, mainly from the Arusha branch of the Mechanism,” while a small team of staff from the office of the prosecutor will remain in Rwanda to continue assisting national authorities, particularly in tracking fugitives.

Tambadou, who was in Rwanda from Feb. 11 to 16, discussed the need for continued collaboration with various Rwandan senior government officials as well as representatives from IBUKA, an umbrella association of genocide survivor organizations in Rwanda.

You Might Also Like

Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina

Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity

Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench

Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Man guns down 12 relatives in rare mass shooting in Iran
Next Article Uganda police search for bodies after fatal canoe capsizing on Lake Victoria
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education

3 days ago

Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency

2 days ago

‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace

3 days ago

Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

4 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE