By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Three Sons of Iran’s Slain Leader Khamenei Appear at Funeral, Not His Successor
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Three Sons of Iran’s Slain Leader Khamenei Appear at Funeral, Not His Successor
World

Three Sons of Iran’s Slain Leader Khamenei Appear at Funeral, Not His Successor

Last updated: July 6, 2026 11:19 am
Agencies 1 month ago
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE
 Three sons of slain Iranian leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei prayed beside his coffin and those of four ‌other family members on Sunday, but Mojtaba, the son who has succeeded him as Iran’s supreme leader, did not make an appearance. 

State TV showed Mostafa, Meysam and Masoud Khamenei praying behind the coffins laid out in the vast courtyard of Tehran’s Imam Khomeini Grand Mosalla, a sprawling religious complex.

In a show ​of public devotion to the theocratic state and revolutionary zeal, the Islamic Republic is staging a week of mass ​funeral processions for Khamenei, including taking his remains to Shi’ite religious sites in neighbouring Iraq.

After a ⁠day lying in state indoors for senior Iranian leaders and foreign officials to visit, Khamenei’s coffin was displayed outdoors on Saturday ​under glass, along with those of his daughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law and 14-month-old granddaughter.

There has still been no public sighting or image ​released of Mojtaba, said to have been injured in the attack that killed his father and the other family members on February 28, when Israel and the U.S. bombed Iranian targets at the start of the war.

Mojtaba Khamenei’s face was disfigured and he suffered a significant injury to one ​or both legs, people close to his inner circle told Reuters.

A ceasefire has suspended the four-month-old war under an agreement with Washington ​that Iran’s authorities say will ultimately bring huge economic benefits, in line with what they describe as a victory over a superpower.

U.S. President Donald ‌Trump told ⁠the Axios news website that peace talks had been paused for a week for the events surrounding the funeral.

On Sunday, Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf prayed behind the coffins. Masoud Khamenei was seen crying and wiping his tears with a keffiyeh – the chequered scarf that is a symbol in Iran of militant revolutionary ideals and solidarity with Palestinians – ​as an imam recited funeral prayers.

Crowds ​of Iranians, many weeping ⁠and some beating their chests, have thronged the Mosalla, including overnight. The Iranian metro railway network said it had clocked 7 million trips from late on Saturday to Sunday morning as people ​flocked to the centre.

After what authorities are billing as a massive procession in central Tehran ​on Monday, the ⁠remains will be taken to the seminary city of Qom, the centre of Iran’s Shi’ite hierarchy, for ceremonies on Tuesday.

From there the body will be flown to Iraq for ceremonies in the Shi’ite holy shrine cities of Najaf and Kerbala on Wednesday. It will ⁠return to ​Iran on Thursday for another procession in Mashhad, to be buried near ​the tomb of another of the medieval Shi’ite imams.

Authorities plan to mobilise millions of people for big processions over the coming days, offering transport, food and lodging.

You Might Also Like

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point peace plan for Gaza

Global ocean temperatures hit record July high as El Nino develops

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article DCI Summons MP Zaheer Jhanda as Keumbu Attack Probe Intensifies
Next Article China, Russia to Hold Joint Naval Drills

Latest stories

  • Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition
  • Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive
  • Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment
  • Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally
  • JKUAT Student Accuses American National of Rape After Tinder Date in Westlands
  • Aisha Jumwa Responds to Duale Over Literacy Remarks
  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

You Might Also Like

Oprah Winfrey to Close $40 Million Leadership School for Girls in South Africa

2 weeks ago

Bomb Carried by Woman Kills Three, Injures 21 near Moscow Restaurant, Authorities say

2 weeks ago

Influencer Andrew Tate and brother arrested in Miami

4 weeks ago

20 Pupils and Adult Killed in Uganda School Bus Crash as Government Suspends School Trips

1 month ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE