Junior Sagini, the three-year-old boy whose eyes were gouged out in Kisii a few weeks ago has sadly been turned into a political mileage machine as two political heavyweights fight over the rights to assist him.
As baby Sagini struggles to comprehend why he is suddenly blind, former Nairobi governor Mike Sonko and Kisii governor Simba Arati are fighting over who between the two can publicly offer the best assistance to him.
Sonko has today, Sunday December 26 issued a scathing attack on unnamed dirty-minded politicians from Kisii who have denied him access to the boy even after he offered to fly him to Shenzen, China to get eye implants.
“Despite my efforts to help I have not had access to them due to bad politics being played around by some dirty minded politicians who think I’m in this case for PR and political mileage purposes but that won’t stop me from pursuing the matter,” tweeted Sonko.
He claimed the baby had already missed two appointments at a Nairobi hospital where a preliminary assessment needed to be done before Sagini could be flown out for surgery.
“Last week Baby Sagini missed two important appointments with Dr. Kishor at the Westlands laser eye hospital coz we wanted the baby’s review report to be emailed to China so that we can start the process of flying him there for implant of artificial eyes,” said Sonko.
While maintaining that he will nonetheless ensure that the three-year-old gets help eventually, Sonko added that, “Politicising the issue and denying me access to him and his sister will not stop me from helping.”
The three-year-old boy is currently under protective custody facilitated by Kisii governor Simba Arati who had on his own offered to finance Sagini’s education all the way to university. The governor equally pledged to offset the Ksh100,000 medical bill accrued after Sagini was hospitalised following the incident where a gang kidnapped him and gouged out his eyes.
Arati has personally instructed that Sonko does not get access to the boy for unknown reasons and kept the location of the safe house where the baby as a top secret.
At the moment Sagini requires all the help he can get. It is difficult to know why the Kisii governor has decided to lock out Sonko in the chain of assistance. The former Nairobi governor is known to be very philanthropic but has in the past used such cases to endear himself to the public.
Just this week he shocked Kenyans by claiming that the boy had been sodomised and infected with an STD.
“Baby Sagini has also been sodomised and tested positive for an STD.” “What kind of animosity is this? How do people live with themselves after such acts to innocent children?” “I swear I will get to the bottom of this.” said Sonko.