By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Speeding likely cause of Diogo Jota car crash, Spanish police say
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Speeding likely cause of Diogo Jota car crash, Spanish police say
Sports

Speeding likely cause of Diogo Jota car crash, Spanish police say

Last updated: July 9, 2025 12:34 pm
Agencies 1 year ago
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE

Liverpool and Portugal star Diogo Jota was likely speeding when his car veered off a motorway in Spain last week killing him and his brother, Spanish police said on Tuesday.

The shock deaths of Jota, 28, and Andre Silva, 25, on July 3 plunged the football world into mourning, less than two weeks after the striker had got married.

An ongoing investigation is examining “the marks left by one of the vehicle’s wheels… everything points to a possible excessive speed beyond the road’s speed limit”, the Civil Guard said.”All the tests conducted so far indicate that the driver of the vehicle was Diogo Jota,” it added.

The force had previously said a tyre had probably blown out while the vehicle was overtaking, causing it to crash and burst into flames in the northwestern province of Zamora.

Just hours before the accident, Jota had posted a video of his June 22 wedding to partner Rute Cardoso, with whom he had three children.

The deaths sparked an outpouring of grief, particularly in the brothers’ native Portugal and at Jota’s Premier League club Liverpool.

Political leaders as well as star players from Portugal and Liverpool joined family and friends at the funeral on Saturday in the Porto suburb of Gondomar.

Following spells at Atletico Madrid, Porto and Wolverhampton Wanderers, Jota became a fan favourite at Liverpool after joining the Premier League giants in 2020.

He netted 65 times for the Reds in five seasons, lifting the League Cup and FA Cup in 2021/22 and helping them win a record-equalling 20th English league title last season.

The striker also earned 49 caps for Portugal and was part of the team that won this year’s UEFA Nations League.

Younger brother Andre played in midfield for FC Penafiel in Portugal’s second tier.

You Might Also Like

Como sign defender Chalobah from Chelsea

Mourinho says he agreed to replace Ferguson at Man Utd

Former Kenyan Rugby Star Daniel Adongo Deported to Kenya by US Immigration Authorities

Lamine Yamal ‘completes football’ at 19 as Argentina betray Messi

Messi denied dream farewell as abject Argentina lose World Cup final

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Nyamira County Assembly expells 10 MCAs over absenteeism
Next Article 37 suspects charged with terrorism over Kikuyu, Matuu June 25 attacks

Latest stories

  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband
  • EACC Arrests Nine Over Alleged Sh1.57 Billion Government Funds Fraud
  • Gachagua Urges Mathira Residents to Block UDA Agents From Polling Stations
  • Kaluma Calls for Arrest of Orengo, Babu Owino, Sifuna Over Homa Bay Rally Violence
  • Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition
  • Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive
  • Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment
  • Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally

You Might Also Like

Fifa World Cup 2026

World Cup: Eight teams remain in the hunt for glory

1 month ago

Kenya Qualifies for FIFAe Continental Championship After Strong Africa Campaign

2 months ago

Kenya’s Angella Okutoyi Turns Professional, Relocates to London to Chase Grand Slam Dream

2 months ago

Basketball superstar LeBron James to leave LA Lakers

2 months ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE