By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: 21 dead in Gabon ferry accident
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » 21 dead in Gabon ferry accident

21 dead in Gabon ferry accident

Last updated: March 15, 2023 10:59 am
Jessicah Mwambia 3 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
File photo of a ferry in Africa
SHARE

Search teams in Gabon have recovered the dead bodies of 15 passengers of a ferry that sank off the West African country’s coast last week, bringing the provisional death toll up to 21, the coordinator of rescue operations said on Tuesday.

The Esther Miracle ferry – which had 161 passengers onboard – was travelling from Libreville to Port-Gentil when it sank close to the coastal village of Nyonie on March 9.

Authorities confirmed six deaths on Monday and were still searching for 31 missing people. Air force planes and diving teams were sent to conduct daily search operations.

More Read

Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition
Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive

Head of rescue operations Bekale Meyong said on state television on Tuesday that 124 people had been rescued and 21 confirmed dead after 15 more bodies were fished from the shipwreck.

Ambulances have taken the bodies to mortuaries and search operations are ongoing, he added.

The government has not yet commented on the cause of the incident.

A Reuters reporter at Libreville port saw the bodies offloaded from a boat in body bags. Some relatives rushed over in an attempt to identify them but they were blocked by police.

“At least now we can organise their funerals,” said Esther Mvou, who managed to recognise two family members among the dead. One of them was Mvou’s sister, whom she identified from the black tank top she was wearing when she left Libreville.

Hundreds of people have been holding vigils at Libreville port since the ferry sunk in a show of solidarity towards distraught relatives waiting for news.

They sleep out in the open and in tents provided by civil society groups and authorities.

Critics accuse the government of being slow to respond and of downplaying the scale of the incident, saying the ship was carrying more passengers than disclosed.

Ferries are often overloaded in Gabon, and there are unconfirmed reports the ship was weighed down with cars, livestock and other merchandise.

Government spokesman Yves Fernand Manfoumbi told Reuters via telephone that he had no information or comment on the allegations.

You Might Also Like

Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment

Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally

JKUAT Student Accuses American National of Rape After Tinder Date in Westlands

Aisha Jumwa Responds to Duale Over Literacy Remarks

Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article How Matiang’i’s ‘handshake’ with President Ruto complicates Raila’s political arithmetic in Kisii
Next Article Kidero: Azimio is clueless

Latest stories

  • Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition
  • Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive
  • Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment
  • Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally
  • JKUAT Student Accuses American National of Rape After Tinder Date in Westlands
  • Aisha Jumwa Responds to Duale Over Literacy Remarks
  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

You Might Also Like

Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment

8 hours ago

Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

2 days ago

SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims

2 days ago

Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete

2 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE