By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Kenya’s justice system has failed in Pastor Mackenzie probe, says Senate
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Kenya’s justice system has failed in Pastor Mackenzie probe, says Senate

Kenya’s justice system has failed in Pastor Mackenzie probe, says Senate

Last updated: November 2, 2023 1:58 pm
Jessicah Mwambia 3 years ago
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

An inquiry into a suspected cult leader accused of inciting at least 428 of his followers to starve themselves to death, has pointed to “failures” in Kenya’s security and criminal justice systems, according to a report seen by a Senate Committee.

Self-proclaimed pastor Paul Nthenge Mackenzie has been in police custody since mid-April after the discovery of human remains in the Shakahola forest near the Indian Ocean coast.

The former taxi driver and founder of the Good News International Church is accused of preaching to his followers to starve to death “to meet Jesus”.

While starvation appears to be the main cause of death, some of the victims — including children — were strangled, beaten or suffocated, according to autopsies carried out by the government.

“Kenya has experienced deaths linked to religious extremism in the past, however, the Shakahola tragedy has registered the highest number of fatalities in Kenya’s recorded history,” the Senate commission of inquiry said in its report.

It added that the self-proclaimed pastor had faced charges back in 2017 for his extreme preaching, but “the criminal justice system failed to deter the heinous activities of Paul Mackenzie in Shakahola”.

Mackenzie was acquitted on charges of radicalisation in 2017 for illegally providing school teaching — he rejected the formal educational system which he claimed was not in line with the Bible.

In 2019, he was also accused of being linked to the death of two children “who had succumbed to starvation and suffocation and buried in a shallow grave in Shakahola Forest”.

He had been released on bail, pending trial.

– ‘Recurring complaints’ –

The commission of inquiry also pointed to failings in the local police force, which had received “recurring complaints by religious leaders and the local community against his activities from as early as 2017”.

The complaints related to Mackenzie’s opposition to formal education and medical treatment, as well as “radicalising adults to resign from their jobs and join the church” and “holding people hostage”.

The report also blamed “inaction” by the local county’s security committee, which had “summoned Paul Mackenzie and warned him against his radical teachings and subjecting followers to inhumane conditions”.

A largely Christian nation, Kenya has struggled to regulate unscrupulous churches and cults that dabble in criminality.

There are more than 4,000 churches registered in the East African country of 53 million people, according to government figures.

The commission decried current legislation as “inadequate” and called on the country’s parliament to pass a “Religious Organisations Bill” to provide a legislative framework for the regulation of religious institutions.

The investigation and search for bodies in Shakahola forest are still ongoing.

Once completed, Mackenzie and his 29 co-defenants will be formally charged, with prosecutors announcing in May that the self-proclaimed pastor would face terrorism charges.

You Might Also Like

Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay

Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment

Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims

Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Six Killed In Somalia Suicide Bombing
Next Article Man Utd win in an emotional night following Sir Bobby Charlton’s death
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027
  • SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims
  • Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete
  • Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay
  • UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death
  • At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker
  • Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

You Might Also Like

Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay

1 day ago

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

1 day ago

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

1 day ago

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

1 day ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE