By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: UK, Canada, and 14 European countries call for probe into Tanzania election-related violence
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » UK, Canada, and 14 European countries call for probe into Tanzania election-related violence
World

UK, Canada, and 14 European countries call for probe into Tanzania election-related violence

Last updated: December 6, 2025 10:54 am
Jessicah Mwambia 8 months ago
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

A coalition of Western nations, including the United Kingdom, Canada, Norway and 13 European countries, has issued a strongly worded joint statement raising alarm over the deadly aftermath of Tanzania’s recent elections.

The group cited disturbing reports of killings, disappearances and widespread human rights violations in the days following the vote.

The statement was signed by the British and Canadian High Commissions and the embassies of Norway, Switzerland, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden and the EU Delegation.

The countries said they “deeply regret” the loss of life and the many injuries reported across the country.

They referenced earlier remarks by the EU High Representative on November 2, as well as a joint statement issued on October 31 by the foreign ministers of Canada, Norway and the UK, all of which expressed concern about the election’s conduct and the violent crackdown that followed.

Quoting “credible reports from domestic and international organisations,” the missions pointed to evidence of extrajudicial killings, enforced disappearances, arbitrary arrests and attempts to hide bodies.

“We recall the government’s desire for peace and stability, and underline the importance of security forces acting with maximum restraint,” the statement read.

The countries urged Tanzanian authorities to release the bodies of those killed to their families, free all political prisoners, and ensure that detainees receive both legal and medical support.

They also called on the government to implement recommendations from the African Union and SADC’s preliminary election reports, which flagged “clear shortcomings” in the electoral process.

“We welcome the government’s recognition that understanding the root causes and circumstances of the violence, including deaths, is a vital step towards justice and reconciliation,” the missions added, stressing that any inquiry must be independent, transparent and inclusive of civil society, religious groups and all political actors.

The joint statement comes just days after President Samia Suluhu delivered a sharp message of her own regarding the unrest.

In a national address earlier this week, Samia dismissed the violence as a foreign-backed plot designed to undermine Tanzania’s long-standing stability. She claimed outsiders were “irritated by Tanzania’s peace” and accused them of attempting to “destroy this country after destroying their own.”

The President also sent condolences to families who lost loved ones, saying that “when one Tanzanian sheds blood, we all feel the pain.”

She further alleged—without providing evidence—that young people had been paid to take to the streets after October’s disputed election.

“These were not protests, it was violence with malicious intentions,” she said, insisting the events were orchestrated to bring down her government.

She further defended the use of force by security agencies, calling it “proportional to the event.”

Meanwhile, opposition party CHADEMA has claimed that more than 2,000 people were killed during the post-election violence.

The government has however dismissed those figures as “hugely exaggerated” and has yet to provide an official death toll, focusing instead on incidents of property destruction.

You Might Also Like

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point peace plan for Gaza

Global ocean temperatures hit record July high as El Nino develops

TAGGED: 2025, CHADEMA, elections, Samia Suluhu Hassan, Tanzania, Violence
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article KRA Ordered to Unfreeze Mike Sonko’s Bank Accounts
Next Article Beryl Odinga burial Beryl Odinga set to be laid to rest today at Kango Ka Jaramogi home

Latest stories

  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027
  • SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims
  • Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete
  • Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay
  • UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death
  • At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker
  • Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

You Might Also Like

Oprah Winfrey to Close $40 Million Leadership School for Girls in South Africa

2 weeks ago

Bomb Carried by Woman Kills Three, Injures 21 near Moscow Restaurant, Authorities say

2 weeks ago

Influencer Andrew Tate and brother arrested in Miami

4 weeks ago

20 Pupils and Adult Killed in Uganda School Bus Crash as Government Suspends School Trips

1 month ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE