By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Pupils were Beaten, Teachers Chained, Nigerian Kidnap Survivor Says
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Pupils were Beaten, Teachers Chained, Nigerian Kidnap Survivor Says
World

Pupils were Beaten, Teachers Chained, Nigerian Kidnap Survivor Says

Last updated: July 14, 2026 6:46 am
Agencies 1 month ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE
Some of the more than 40 Nigerian schoolchildren who were kidnapped in May were blindfolded and beaten by their captors, a principal of one of the schools said on Monday. 

Male staff were blindfolded and chained, the headteacher added as details of the ordeal that shook the country finally emerged.

The students, whose rescue was announced on Friday, had been seized from three schools in southwestern Oyo state and held captive for nearly two months, in an attack blamed on jihadists.

Such mass kidnappings have rocked Nigeria before but the Oyo attack marked a rare assault in the country’s typically safer southwest.

Rachael Alamu, head of one of the schools, gave a moving account of the abductees’ experience during 56 days in captivity, during which they were shunted from one section of the forest to another, with little food.

“Some of the children were beaten,” Alamu told reporters at the Oyo government offices, where the military formally handed over the children and their teachers on Monday.

She said the youngest children had their mouths bound with pieces of “cloth, and (the captors) beat them very well”.

“The men had it worse, more than us. They were blindfolded, handcuffed and chained” around the legs, Alamu added.

– Trekking through forest hideouts –

 

The group was moved around the forest to avoid detection from security forces.

“We had to move from one point to another, that was the major problem we had. When the place is discovered, we had to move” — forced to walk for up to four hours, she said.

Two male teachers were killed, one during the initial attack and a second one while in captivity, according to the head teacher and the governor of Oyo State, Seyi Makinde.

The children and staff were rescued following what the army called “carefully planned and executed” operations alongside intelligence agencies, police and local vigilante groups.

Five security personnel, including vigilante members,were killed during the operation, Makinde said.

Nigeria has been fighting a jihadist conflict that over the years has seen armed Islamist groups spread and fracture outside their strongholds in the northeast.

But the attack in Oyo state sent shockwaves through a country where many had long written off such violence as a problem confined to the north.

The kidnapping, in Oyo’s Oriire local government area, was blamed by President Bola Tinubu on militants from Ansaru, a Boko Haram splinter group known to operate in central Nigeria, extending into the southwest.

You Might Also Like

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

Israel rejects Trump’s 15-point peace plan for Gaza

Global ocean temperatures hit record July high as El Nino develops

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Boyfriend Arrested After 19-Year-Old Woman Dies in Fifth-Floor Fall at Kayole Apartment
Next Article Eldoret High Court Jails Woman for Three Years Over Boyfriend’s Fatal Stabbing

Latest stories

  • M-Pesa Operator Shot During Robbery in Migori as Gunmen Steal KSh200,000
  • Sifuna Mocks Ruto Over Claims Uhuru Is Funding Opposition Ahead of 2027
  • Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations
  • University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal
  • Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide
  • Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson
  • Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027
  • Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash
  • Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party

You Might Also Like

Oprah Winfrey to Close $40 Million Leadership School for Girls in South Africa

3 weeks ago

Bomb Carried by Woman Kills Three, Injures 21 near Moscow Restaurant, Authorities say

3 weeks ago

Influencer Andrew Tate and brother arrested in Miami

1 month ago

20 Pupils and Adult Killed in Uganda School Bus Crash as Government Suspends School Trips

1 month ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE