By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Pope Francis Discharged from Hospital After Hernia Operation
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Pope Francis Discharged from Hospital After Hernia Operation

Pope Francis Discharged from Hospital After Hernia Operation

Last updated: June 16, 2023 12:20 pm
Jessicah Mwambia 3 years ago
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Pope Francis left hospital on Friday after undergoing a hernia operation and headed to the Vatican, where his health will be under increasing scrutiny ahead of a busy summer.

A smiling Francis left the Gemelli hospital in Rome at 8:45 am (0645 GMT) in a wheelchair, thanking the crowd of well-wishers outside.

The 86-year-old has suffered a series of health issues since his election in 2013, from hip problems, knee pain and weight gain to an inflamed colon and respiratory infection.

The Argentinian underwent a three-hour operation under general anaesthetic on June 7 to remove a painful hernia on the site of a scar from a previous surgery.

It was his third stay in hospital since 2021.

Doctors said he was cheerful on waking after last week’s operation, cracking jokes with the medical team, and the hospital has published regular updates since then detailing his steady recovery.

The Vatican cancelled papal audiences until June 18 to give the pontiff time to recover.

But Francis was quick to start working again from his suite in Rome’s Gemelli hospital, which is the favoured choice of pontiffs to the point of being dubbed “Vatican III” by John Paul II.

He had quipped that “Vatican number one” was St. Peter’s Square, Vatican number two was the papal summer residence of Castel Gandolfo, and the Gemelli was number three.

Doctors said Thursday that Francis could go home on Friday morning. The pontiff spent his last day doing the rounds in a wheelchair and thanking the doctors and nurses who looked after him.

He also visited children in the paediatric oncology and child neurosurgery department, some of whom had sent him letters and drawings wishing him a speedy recovery, the Vatican said.

All eyes now will be on Francis to see how he manages the return to a normal schedule once home.

His agenda is particularly busy over the coming months, with trips to Portugal and Mongolia in August.

The programme for his visit to Portugal from August 2 to 6 for World Youth Day in Lisbon is packed, with around 20 meetings and a number of events.

The head of the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics, who had part of one lung removed as a young man, is regularly forced to reduce his schedule due to health problems.

In July 2021, he underwent surgery at the Gemelli for a type of diverticulitis, an inflammation of small bulges or pockets that can develop in the lining of the intestine.

Francis was also hospitalised for three nights in March with a respiratory infection.

In recent months, rumours about his possible resignation have intensified.

He has repeatedly said he would consider stepping down if his health failed him, following the example of his predecessor, Benedict XVI.

Francis acknowledged in July 2022 that he needed to slow down.

“At my age and with this limitation, I have to save myself a little bit to be able to serve the Church,” he said. “Or, alternatively, to think about the possibility of stepping aside.”

In March, however, he insisted that he had no current plans to quit.

You Might Also Like

Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay

Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment

Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims

Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Alikiba’s Kenyan wife demands for a divorce
Next Article Melania conspicuously missing in action as husband Trump faces legal battles

Latest stories

  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027
  • SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims
  • Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete
  • Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay
  • UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death
  • At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker
  • Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

You Might Also Like

Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay

1 day ago

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

1 day ago

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

1 day ago

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

1 day ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE