By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Gunman dead after killing 14 at Prague’s Charles University
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Gunman dead after killing 14 at Prague’s Charles University

Gunman dead after killing 14 at Prague’s Charles University

Last updated: December 22, 2023 5:23 pm
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 3 years ago
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

A gunman has shot dead 14 people and injured another 25 at a university in Prague, officials say, in the deadliest attack in modern Czech history.

Police say the 24-year-old gunman was also “eliminated” following the shooting at Charles University in the historic centre of the capital.

University staff were told to barricade themselves in rooms during the attack.

Prime Minister Petr Fiala said he had cancelled upcoming engagements in light of the “tragic events” on Thursday.

The shooting started at about 15:00 local time (14:00 GMT) at the university’s Faculty of Arts building on Jan Palach Square.

Dramatic footage later emerged on social media showing some people jumping to safety from one of the building’s ledges several storeys up, and gunshots are also heard.

In a separate video, terrified crowds are seen fleeing the area popular with tourists.

At a briefing on Thursday evening, the country’s police chief and the interior minister said the gunman had been a student at the faculty.

They said he was from a village 21km (13 miles) outside Prague. The suspect’s father had been found dead earlier on Thursday. The gunman’s motives were not immediately known.

Preliminary information suggested that no police officers were injured in the attack, the authorities said.

The police said they were also working on the theory that the gunman may have been responsible for the deaths of two people last week in a forest near Prague.

Sergei Medvedev, a professor at the university, told the BBC he had been in one of the university’s auditoriums when the shootings began.

“I was giving a lecture at the moment and at first didn’t quite realise what happened because there were some sounds. The students… heard it better because I was so much concentrated on my talking, on my lecture,” he said.

“Then… we understood that something big is happening. There was nothing online yet, nothing in the Czech press and the [news] networks. Then at some point, the special operation groups went storming in, they searched the room briefly and then went out… they told us to stay inside.

“One hour later, another police squad broke in and then put us on the floor, briefly searched us then evacuated from the building.”

US tourist Hannah Mallicoat told the BBC that she and her family had been on Jan Palach Square during the attack.

“A crowd of people were crossing the street when the first shot hit. I thought it was something like a firecracker or a car backfire until I heard the second shot and people started running,” she said.

“I saw a bullet hit the ground on the other side of the square about 30 ft (9m) away before ducking into a store. The whole area was blocked off and dozens of police cars and ambulances were going towards the university.”

Britain’s Joe Hyland, 18, told the BBC he had heard four gunshots.

“Everyone was sprinting and running for cover. I have a bad knee, am on a crutch. So I hobbled as quickly as possible,” added Mr Hyland, who was on his first holiday with friends. “We got to the metro and went down there because we thought it would be safest.”

Charles University students said they had barricaded themselves in classrooms.

“Currently stuck inside my classroom in Prague,” Jakob Weizman, a student at Charles University, wrote on X (formerly Twitter) as it unfolded.

“Locked the door before the shooter tried to open it.”

An email to staff at the faculty of arts, seen by Reuters news agency, warned staff of the shooting.

It read: “Stay put, don’t go anywhere, if you’re in the offices, lock them and place furniture in front of the door, turn off the lights.”

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said she was “shocked by the senseless violence”.

Founded in 1347, Charles University is the oldest and largest university in the Czech Republic, and one of the oldest such institutions in Europe.

You Might Also Like

Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay

Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment

Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims

Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Most hotels in Maasai Mara fully booked for Christmas
Next Article Vin Diesel: Film star accused of sexual battery by ex-assistant
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027
  • SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims
  • Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete
  • Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay
  • UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death
  • At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker
  • Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

You Might Also Like

Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay

1 day ago

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

24 hours ago

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

24 hours ago

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

24 hours ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE