By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Haiti declares 72-hour state of emergency after massive jailbreak
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Haiti declares 72-hour state of emergency after massive jailbreak

Haiti declares 72-hour state of emergency after massive jailbreak

Last updated: March 4, 2024 10:08 am
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 2 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
Haiti
Police secure a roadblock set up by protesters during a demonstration demanding the resignation of Prime Minister Ariel Henry, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, February 7, 2024 [Odelyn Joseph/AP Photo]
SHARE

Haiti has declared a 72-hour state of emergency and night curfew in and around the capital because of two jailbreaks and spiralling insecurity.

At the weekend, armed gangs stormed a major Port-au-Prince prison, leading to the killing of at least 12 people and release of around 4,000 inmates.

Gang leaders say they want to force the resignation of Prime Minister Ariel Henry, who is outside the country.

The groups aiming to oust him control around 80% of Port-au-Prince.

A government statement said two prisons – one in the capital and the other in nearby Croix des Bouquets – were stormed over the weekend.

Among those detained in Port-au-Prince were gang members charged in connection with the 2021 killing of President Jovenel Moïse.

The latest upsurge in violence began on Thursday, when the prime minister travelled to Nairobi to discuss sending a Kenyan-led multinational security force to Haiti.

Gang leader Jimmy Chérizier (nicknamed “Barbecue”) declared a co-ordinated attack to remove him.

“All of us, the armed groups in the provincial towns and the armed groups in the capital, are united,” said the former police officer, who is thought to be behind several massacres in Port-au-Prince.

Haiti’s police union had asked the military to help reinforce the capital’s main prison, but the compound was stormed late on Saturday.

On Sunday the doors of the prison were still open and there were no signs of officers, Reuters news agency reported. Three inmates who tried to flee lay dead in the courtyard, the report said.

One volunteer prison worker told the Reuters news agency that 99 prisoners – including former Colombian soldiers jailed over President Moïse’s murder – had chosen to remain in their cells for fear of being killed in crossfire.

Violence has been rife since President Moïse’s assassination. He has not been replaced and elections have not been held since 2016.

Under a political deal, elections were to be held and the unelected Mr Henry was due to stand down by 7 February, but that did not happen.

In January, the UN said more than 8,400 people were victims of Haiti’s gang violence last year, including killings, injuries and kidnappings – more than double the numbers seen in 2022.

You Might Also Like

Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina

Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity

Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench

Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Four arrested in Shisha crackdown at Oyster Bay restaurant
Next Article Kalonzo not fit to succeed Raila, says Wanjigi
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education

2 hours ago

Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency

1 hour ago

‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace

1 day ago

Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

1 day ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE