By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Haiti: Gang leader launches armed bid to topple PM Ariel Henry
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Haiti: Gang leader launches armed bid to topple PM Ariel Henry

Haiti: Gang leader launches armed bid to topple PM Ariel Henry

Last updated: March 3, 2024 3:40 pm
2 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Haiti witnessed a third day of extreme violence on Friday as gangs looking to oust Prime Minister Ariel Henry rocked the capital Port-au-Prince with heavy gunfire near the city’s international airport and a prison.

Haitian gang leader Jimmy Cherizier held a press conference on Friday and said that he would keep trying to remove Henry.

  • Haiti: Gang leader launches armed bid to topple PM Ariel Henry

    Haiti: Gang leader launches armed bid to topple PM Ariel Henry

“The battle will last as long as it needs to. We will keep fighting Ariel Henry. To avoid collateral damage, keep the kids at home,” the powerful gang boss, known by the nickname Barbecue, said.

Cherizier, a former elite police officer runs a gang federation called G9 and Family and Allies. He disrupted the nation when he blocked its biggest oil terminal in 2022. He has faced sanctions from the United Nations and the United States Department of Treasury.

At least four police officers have been killed and dozens have been injured since the latest spurt of violence began. On Friday, a group of officers demonstrated in front of management offices, demanding the recovery of the bodies of their four colleagues who had been killed.

The fighting took place while Henry was out of the country, in Kenya trying to bolster support for a long-sought international policing and peacekeeping deployment that’s being challenged in Kenyan courts.

In Port-au-Prince, more people are reported to have fled homes close to the fighting as burnt buses and barricades lay on the capital’s streets.

The latest violence is part of a coordinated effort by gangs, coming together under the label “Vivre Ensemble” (“Living Together”).

In recent years, armed gangs have taken over large parts of Haiti.

Haiti’s National Police has only around 9,000 officers on duty at a time for a country with a population of 11 million, according to the UN.

Violence increased as Henry visited Kenya this week. The two nations earlier on Friday signed reciprocal agreements that Nairobi hopes will satisfy a Kenyan court’s objections to its plan to send 1,000 police officers to Haiti, leading an international policing and peacekeeping mission.

In a statement, Prime Minister Henry’s office said it was “outraged by the acts of violence and terror orchestrated by armed bandits,” and expressed condolences to victims’ families, saying the government would continue to work towards resolving the conflict.

The fresh fighting has also exacerbated a delicate supply situation in the country.

As per the UN, nearly half of Haiti’s inhabitants are suffering from acute hunger.

The government of Henry has blamed the security situation in the country for the delay in arranging elections since the assassination of former Preisdent Jovenel Moise in the summer of 2021.

You Might Also Like

Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina

Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity

Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench

Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article stay cool and hydrated during hot weather What could be causing Kenya’s unusually hot weather
Next Article Space X launch Poor weather delays joint US, Russian spaceX mission launch
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education

21 hours ago

Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency

20 hours ago

‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace

2 days ago

Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

2 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE