By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Schools in Kenya closed as cost-of-living protests resume
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Schools in Kenya closed as cost-of-living protests resume

Schools in Kenya closed as cost-of-living protests resume

Last updated: July 19, 2023 2:07 pm
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 3 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
Protesters in Kenya's capital city, Nairobi
SHARE

Schools in Kenya’s capital Nairobi and the coastal town of Mombasa have been shut indefinitely.

The schools were closed as three days of nationwide cost-of-living protests kicked off on Wednesday July 19.

Last week’s violent protests resulted in the deaths of at least 14 people.

“The government has received credible security intelligence that criminal elements planning to unleash terror and violence on the public. They intend to engage in armed skirmishes with security agencies around certain schools within Nairobi and Mombasa counties,” the interior ministry said.

Police chief Japheth Koome has declared the anti-tax hike protests illegal. This even after the high court had on Monday July 17, rejected a request to declare them illegal.

Protesters barricade a road with bonfires and rocks in Kisii town

During similar protests last Wednesday, the police shot dead at least 10 people.

More than 50 schoolchildren were also teargassed while in their classroom in Nairobi. A few were also subsequently rushed to the hospital in an unconscious state.

There have been reports of police firing teargas canisters at protesters in neighborhoods around Nairobi.

Protesters armed with crude weapons have also barricaded roads in western Kenya and extorted money from road users.

Human rights organizations have strongly criticized the police for what they call their excessive use of force.

Local and international groups and foreign diplomats have expressed deep concerns over the situation in Kenya, urging dialogue to address the issues at hand.

Meanwhile, the church has announced that it is ready to mediate between the two political sides in order to restore peace in the country.

The National Council of Churches of Kenya (NCCK), led by Bishop John Okinda, said that the country was being subjected to unnecessary tension from the weekly demonstrations by the opposition.

Okinda said that though the demonstration was a civil right, the recent picketing in parts of the country resulted in deaths and the destruction of property.

He noted that it was advisable for both parties to sit down and call a truce. A truce would ensure peace, prosperity, and love among Kenyans.

You Might Also Like

Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay

Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment

Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027

SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims

Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article How to Send Quick Video Messages on WhatsApp
Next Article Ex-Man City defender Benjamin Mendy signs for Ligue 1 club Lorient

Latest stories

  • Two Journalists Assaulted as Tension Escalates Ahead of Linda Mwananchi Rally in Homa Bay
  • Kindiki Claims Gachagua Ignored His Advice Before Impeachment
  • Gachagua Accuses Ruto and Kindiki of Trying to Divide Mt Kenya Ahead of 2027
  • SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims
  • Apple Declares iPhone X and 2018 MacBook Pro Obsolete
  • Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay
  • UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death
  • At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker
  • Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

You Might Also Like

Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay

1 day ago

UK Prime Minister urges ‘reflection’ after Cambridge professor’s death

1 day ago

At Least 20 Killed in New Nigeria Violence: Lawmaker

1 day ago

Iran Calls for Release of Pilots Captured in Qatar During Middle East War

1 day ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE