By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Elon Musk and his son visit site of Auschwitz death camp
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Elon Musk and his son visit site of Auschwitz death camp

Elon Musk and his son visit site of Auschwitz death camp

Last updated: January 22, 2024 6:27 pm
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 3 years ago
Share
6 Min Read
Elon Musk visits site of Auschwitz death camp
Elon Musk and his son visited the site of the Auschwitz death camp.
SHARE

Tech billionaire Elon Musk has visited the site of the Auschwitz death camp.

The visit comes after intense criticism of how X, formerly Twitter, tackles antisemitic posts. It also comes weeks after Musk apologised for endorsing an antisemitic conspiracy theory.

Prominent Jewish leaders called for Mr Musk to see for himself one of the most symbolic sites of the Holocaust.

Later he will address online antisemitism at a conference hosted by the European Jewish Association (EJA).

Nazi Germany murdered at least 1.1 million people in the Auschwitz death camp in occupied Poland during World War Two. Almost one million were Jews. The museum notes more than 200,000 were children and young people.

Musk laid a wreath and participated in a memorial service, including lighting a candle, during a private visit to the site.

Photos showed him there with his son on his shoulders and standing next to Holocaust survivor Gidon Lev.

Advertisers leave

As a result of the fall-out over Musk’s enthusiastic agreement with an antisemitic post, Apple, Disney, and IBM paused ads on X.

In response, the entrepreneur has accused advertisers of attempting to “blackmail” him with money. He also used expletive-filled language to express his disdain for their actions.

The Tesla boss, who took over the platform in October 2022, faced accusations of antisemitism in November when he replied, “You have said the actual truth” to a post on X that made the false claim that Jewish communities push hatred against white people.

The White House immediately condemned his post, which drew anger online.

Musk said the endorsement was a mistake. He described it as “one of the most foolish” things he had done on the platform.

Later in November, Mr Musk joined Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on a tour of the Kfar Aza kibbutz. The Kfar was targeted by Hamas as part of the 7 October attacks in which 1,300 people were killed. Another 240 people were taken back to Gaza as hostages.

Combating antisemitism

Today, senior political figures from European countries and Mr Musk will meet in Krakow, Poland “to discuss and find solutions to the astronomical rises in antisemitism affecting Europe,” the EJA said.

“This troubling trend” had been escalating since the war in Gaza, it said.

During a live discussion broadcast on X in September, EJA chairman Rabbi Menachem Margolin invited Mr Musk to visit Auschwitz.

Rabbi Margolin said it would be “a very strong statement” and “could contribute a lot to Holocaust awareness and the struggle to combat antisemitism”.

They were gassed, starved, worked to death and killed in medical experiments.

The Memorial and Museum Auschwitz-Birkenau has previously been critical of X.

In August, the museum criticised the platform after it had initially failed to remove a post denying the Holocaust, saying it did not break its rules.

The offensive post was a reply to one from the museum about a three-year-old Jewish girl murdered in the camp’s gas chambers.

The post called her death a “fairy tale” and used antisemitic tropes.

According to a post on X by the museum, it had reported the offensive reply but received a response saying that after viewing the “available information” the platform had decided no rules had been broken.

That initial response to the museum’s complaint, according to X, was down to a mistake during the first review. It was however escalated and removed in a second review.

X policies on the holocaust

X’s policies state that Holocaust denial is prohibited.

Shortly after publication of an article about the incident, a museum spokesperson told the BBC that moderation was vital in tackling antisemitism but there seemed to be “a problem on X in the quality of moderating and responding to reports”.

But the Tesla boss has strongly defended his record in combating online hate.

In his discussion with Rabbi Margolin, Mr Musk said it was absurd that he was accused of antisemitism. According Musk “all the evidence points the other direction and my entire life story is in fact pro-semitic.”

He previously threatened to file a suit against the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish advocacy group, over its claims that problematic and racist speech has soared on the site since his takeover.

X is also currently suing non-profit Media Matters after it accused the site of allowing antisemitic posts next to advertising. X’s lawsuit alleges it used “manipulated” data in an attempt to “destroy” the platform.

You Might Also Like

Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations

University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal

Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide

Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson

Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Liberia's new president Joseph Boakai Liberia’s new president almost collapses, forced to cut short inauguration speech
Next Article AFCON 2023: Late Ghana collapse puts last-16 spot in major doubt
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations
  • University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal
  • Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide
  • Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson
  • Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027
  • Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash
  • Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party
  • Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness
  • Charlene Ruto and Isaya Yunge Announce Plans for White Wedding

You Might Also Like

Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash

19 hours ago

Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party

18 hours ago

Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness

19 hours ago

Charlene Ruto and Isaya Yunge Announce Plans for White Wedding

19 hours ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE