By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Cuban hostages killed by US airstrikes in Somalia
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Cuban hostages killed by US airstrikes in Somalia

Cuban hostages killed by US airstrikes in Somalia

Last updated: February 20, 2024 7:25 am
3 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

The U.S. military has confirmed conducting an airstrike near Jilib town in Somalia, where according to al-Shabab two Cuban hostages were killed in a drone strike on the same day.

The militant group said in a statement that a U.S. drone strike killed the two hostages, who have been in al-Shabab hands since April 2019 when the militants abducted them from Mandera County in northeastern Kenya.

The two doctors were among a medical team sent to Kenya by Cuba.

Al-Shabab said the doctors were killed “instantly” in the strike.

“The aerial bombardment which began at around 12:10 a.m. targeted a house in Jilib, instantly killing Assel Herrera and Landy Rodriguez who were captured on April 12, 2019,” al-Shabab said in the statement Saturday, written in English.

An image of the purported dead body of one of the hostages was attached to the statement.

The U.S. Africa Command known as AFRICOM confirmed to VOA that an airstrike was conducted against al-Shabab on February 15 near Jilib, according to AFRICOM spokesperson Lennea Montandon.

“We are aware of reports of a strike alleged to have killed two civilians. We do not have any further information at this time about these reports, but we do take all claims of civilian casualties seriously,” Montandon said in an email message to VOA. “The command will continue to assess the results of this operation and will provide additional information as available.”

The U.S. has supported the Somali government with airstrikes against al-Shabab and military training for government troops since the early 2010s.

Last week, the U.S. and Somali government signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the construction of up to five military bases for the U.S.-trained elite Somali National Army forces known as the Danab (lightning) Brigade.

So far in 2024, AFRICOM has conducted four airstrikes in Somalia, Montandon told VOA.

Al-Shabab argued Monday’s strike showed U.S. intelligence is “faulty.”

“Thursday morning’s drone strikes against the Cuban prisoners once again sheds light on the recklessness and desperate nature of AFRICOM’s operations in Somalia, as well as the incompetence of the American crusaders and their faulty intelligence apparatus that has led to the murder of the two hostages,” the group’s statement said.

Last month, al-Shabab fighters captured several foreign workers traveling on a United Nations contracted helicopter after it landed in an al-Shabab territory in central Somalia following reported mechanical problems.

You Might Also Like

Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina

Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity

Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench

Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Two men fall to their death while painting a building in Meru
Next Article Director Trevor ‘fires’ Mungai Eve, takes over ‘her’ YouTube, Facebook, Instagram pages
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education

2 days ago

Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency

2 days ago

‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace

3 days ago

Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

3 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE