By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Sudan leaves IGAD over the regional bloc’s attempt to end war
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Sudan leaves IGAD over the regional bloc’s attempt to end war

Sudan leaves IGAD over the regional bloc’s attempt to end war

Last updated: January 21, 2024 10:52 am
Daniel Kiptoo Bargoria 3 years ago
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Sudan is suspending its membership of the north-east African bloc Igad over an attempt to mediate the brutal conflict in the country.

Igad has been trying to end the nine-month-long war between Sudan’s army and a rival paramilitary group the Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

On Thursday Sudan’s government criticised Igad for inviting the RSF’s chief to a summit.

Khartoum now says a statement released by Igad was offensive to Sudan.

The Intergovernmental Authority on Development (Igad) was founded in 1996 and is made up of eight states – Kenya, Uganda, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea Sudan, and Somalia.

Its current vision is to transform north-east Africa into an upper middle-income economy and a “continental beacon of regional peace, stability, and security by 2050”.

Igad was heavily involved in the 2005 peace process that ended a separate 22-year war in Sudan and the bloc also oversaw the installation of a transitional government in 2004, during a Somali civil war. Igad’s military forces were also a precursor to the African Union mission currently tackling Somalia’s insecurity.

On Thursday, leaders of Igad’s member countries met in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, for a summit.

Sudan’s military-led government refused to attend after learning that the RSF boss Gen Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo was invited.

Fighting broke out last April after a row between Gen Dagalo and Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the head of Sudan’s army.

Since then the army has struggled to control large parts of the country, losing much of the capital Khartoum and the western Darfur region to the RSF.

At this week’s summit, Igad’s leaders mainly discussed the Sudan’s civil war and current tensions between Somalia and Ethiopia over a port deal.

According to French news agency AFP, Igad on Thursday reiterated its call for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire” in Sudan.

In a final statement after the summit closed, Igad also said Sudan’s army, led by Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and the RSF must have a face-to-face meeting within two weeks, AFP reported.

Sudan’s foreign ministry released a statement on Thursday saying it would halt its engagement with Igad.

On Saturday the ministry went further, saying it was suspending its membership of Igad due to the bloc’s final statement, reports said.

According to the United Nations, the war has forced more than seven million people have been forced to flee their homes to safer locations inside and outside Sudan.

Hundreds of civilians were airlifted out of Sudan at the onset of the war as fighting reached residential areas.

The Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project, an analyst group, puts the death toll at more than 13,000.

Since late December, Gen Daglo has toured several African countries, such as Ethiopia, Kenya, and South Africa, holding meetings with heads of state.

It is part of a strategy analysts see as a bid for international legitimacy.

You Might Also Like

Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina

Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity

Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench

Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Arsenal 5 - 0 Crystal Palace Arsenal make light of Crystal Palace with 5-0 rout
Next Article AC Milan goalkeeper racially abused at Udinese Milan players walk off pitch after players racially abused at Udinese
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education

2 days ago

Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency

2 days ago

‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace

3 days ago

Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

3 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE