By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: US navy Seals who went missing off Somalia’s coast declared dead
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » US navy Seals who went missing off Somalia’s coast declared dead

US navy Seals who went missing off Somalia’s coast declared dead

Last updated: January 22, 2024 12:55 pm
3 years ago
Share
3 Min Read
US Navy Seals declared dead
The US Navy Seals went missing during an operation to seize weapons parts on this dhow
SHARE

Two US Navy Seals who went missing during an operation to seize Iranian-made weapons – bound for Houthis in Yemen – are now presumed dead, the US military says.

The US Central Command also confirmed the tragic end to the search for two Navy SEALs who went missing off the coast of Somalia on January 11.

After an exhaustive 10-day search covering over 21,000 square miles involving teams from the US, Japan, and Spain, their status has been officially changed to deceased, as announced in a statement on Sunday.

“We regret to announce that after a 10-day exhaustive search, our two missing U.S. Navy SEALs have not been located, and their status has been changed to deceased,” stated CENTCOM. “Out of respect for the families, no further information will be released at this time.”

Navy Seals are members of a specialist maritime military force responsible for tasks including reconnaissance and carrying out covert operations.

The tragic incident occurred as the SEALs were boarding a vessel in pursuit of illicit Iranian weapons.

Due to eight-foot swells, one SEAL fell into the water, and the second jumped in after them according to protocol.

“We mourn the loss of our two Naval Special Warfare warriors, and we will forever honor their sacrifice and example. Our prayers are with the SEALs’ families, friends, the U.S. Navy, and the entire Special Operations community during this time,” Gen. Michael Erik Kurilla, US CENTCOM commander consoled.

Houthi attacks

US Central Command (Centcom) said last week that warheads for Houthi medium range ballistic missiles and anti-ship cruise missiles, as well as parts for air defence systems, were among the items seized from a dhow – a traditional sailing ship – during the 11 January operation.

It added that initial analysis indicated the components were for missiles that have been used by the Iran-backed Houthis to target vessels travelling through the Red Sea recently.

The supply, sale, and transfer of weapons to the Houthis is considered a violation of a 2015 United Nations Security Resolution, as well as international law.

Dozens of vessels have been targeted in the Houthi attacks, leading hundreds of cargo ships and tankers to be rerouted around the southern tip of Africa to avoid the strikes.

The Houthis, who support Hamas, say they are only targeting vessels with connections to Israel which has attacked Gaza.

However, some of the ships they have hit have had no clear connection to Israel.

They have also begun attacking ships associated with the US and UK. The attacks started after both countries launched airstrikes against Houthi positions in Yemen in retaliation to the Red Sea attacks.

You Might Also Like

Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations

University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal

Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide

Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson

Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article six Guinea fans die amid Afcon celebrations Six Guinea fans die while celebrating their country’s first AFCON win
Next Article Meek Mill responds to criticism over Africa question US rapper Meek Mills under fire for wondering how Africans listen to music
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Latest stories

  • Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations
  • University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal
  • Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide
  • Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson
  • Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027
  • Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash
  • Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party
  • Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness
  • Charlene Ruto and Isaya Yunge Announce Plans for White Wedding

You Might Also Like

Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash

14 hours ago

Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party

13 hours ago

Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness

14 hours ago

Charlene Ruto and Isaya Yunge Announce Plans for White Wedding

14 hours ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE