By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Western Kenya politics round-up: Tensions explode in Trans Nzoia–Bungoma after Natembeya survives attack, Mudavadi warns Natembeya over 2027
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Western Kenya politics round-up: Tensions explode in Trans Nzoia–Bungoma after Natembeya survives attack, Mudavadi warns Natembeya over 2027
News

Western Kenya politics round-up: Tensions explode in Trans Nzoia–Bungoma after Natembeya survives attack, Mudavadi warns Natembeya over 2027

Last updated: November 23, 2025 12:51 pm
Obadiah Oliech 9 months ago
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

Political tensions in Western Kenya have reached a boiling point after Trans Nzoia Governor George Natembeya survived a violent attack in Bungoma on Saturday, triggering a storm of accusations, counter-threats, and fresh 2027 election bids—all unfolding within hours of each other.

Governor Natembeya attacked

Chaos erupted in Chwele Ward, Kabuchai, when armed goons ambushed Governor Natembeya and his convoy during a campaign event for MCA aspirant Eric Wekesa.

The attackers also descended on the home of Kabuchai MP Majimbo Kalasinga, destroying property and injuring several supporters.

Viral footage showed vehicles in Natembeya’s convoy riddled with damage, with the governor alleging that he was shot at “with live ammunition”. Speaking while inspecting the destruction at Kalasinga’s residence, Natembeya directly linked the attack to his political rival, National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetang’ula.

“This is primitive. This is not politics,” the governor said. “Your leader in the National Assembly is sending goons to destroy an MP’s house because of political differences.”

Natembeya claimed that the assailants were targeting his life and dared Wetang’ula to confront him directly instead of “hiding behind rogue police officers”.

“If an MP is not safe in his own home, what about an ordinary Kenyan? I was almost finished there with bullets,” he declared.

DAP-K leaders swiftly condemned the attack, urging the police and the IEBC to intervene and stop what they termed escalating political violence in Kabuchai.

One of the vehicles damaged by goons in the attack

Mudavadi warns Natembeya of ‘fierce 2027 battle’

Hours after the attack, Prime Cabinet Secretary Musalia Mudavadi issued a blistering political warning to Natembeya, signalling that Kenya Kwanza is preparing an aggressive campaign to unseat him in 2027.

Speaking at a public event, Mudavadi dismissed claims that national leaders had been politically passive and instead vowed that the coalition would front a “very strong” candidate to remove Natembeya from office.

“Even that one walking around here called Natembeya—I want to tell him that in 2027 we will field a dangerous candidate in Trans Nzoia who will show him the door,” Mudavadi said.

He cautioned the governor against what he termed provocative behaviour, suggesting Natembeya was exposing himself politically.

“If you live in a glass house, do not throw stones,” Mudavadi added, accusing the first-term governor of displaying arrogance and acting as if he had already attained national prominence.

His remarks add to the escalating feud between Natembeya and senior Kenya Kwanza leaders, whom he has repeatedly accused of neglecting the Western region despite holding powerful positions.

Nakhumicha, Wamalwa declare governoship bids against Natembeya

Meanwhile, the race to unseat Natembeya intensified after former Health Cabinet Secretary Susan Nakhumicha and former Kiminini MP Chris Wamalwa announced their joint intention to challenge him for the Trans Nzoia governorship.

Susan Nakhumicha

The two, both allied to the Kenya Kwanza coalition, made their declarations during a meeting with Luhya elders, signalling the start of a coordinated effort to front a strong candidate against Natembeya.

Wamalwa said he had begun holding consultations to popularise his bid, noting that while Trans Nzoia is cosmopolitan, he was seeking support from the Luhya community first—one of the county’s biggest voting blocs.

“My journey to become the next Governor of Trans Nzoia begins today,” he said.

Nakhumicha, now Kenya’s permanent representative to UN-Habitat, said she had been given her clan’s blessings to drop her Woman Representative ambitions and seek the governorship.

“They have removed me from the Woman Rep bid and advised me to run for governor,” she announced, adding that the Constitution allows any Kenyan to seek any leadership position.

Both aspirants will first battle for the Ford-Kenya ticket before taking on Natembeya, who is seeking re-election on a DAP-K ticket after abandoning his short-lived presidential bid.

Political observers believe Nakhumicha’s entry into the race is a strategic move engineered by Speaker Wetang’ula to tame Natembeya’s rising influence, especially after the governor aggressively campaigned against both Wetang’ula and Mudavadi across the Western region.

You Might Also Like

Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench

Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency

SHA Disburses Second Batch of Payments for Pending NHIF Claims

Kakamega Senator Boni Khalwale Loses Wife

Stop Bullying Us: Sharon Otieno’s Parents Speak Out After Obado’s Conviction

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Makongeni Residents Given 5 Days to Vacate as Demolition Deadline Nears
Next Article Paramount+ wins majority of UK UEFA Champions League rights from 2027 as TNT Sports loses long-running deal

Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

PPB Warns Kenyans Over Fake Postinor-2 Emergency Contraceptives

7 days ago

Matiang’i Among 22 Ordered to Repay Ksh.2.7 billion over Ruaraka Land Saga

7 days ago

Kenyan National Arrested in Zambia Over Alleged Election Cybercrime Plot

7 days ago

DCI Claims Gachagua Communicated With Suspects in Dr Victoria Mutiso Murder

2 weeks ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE