By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Lyon appeal relegation to Ligue 2 by financial regulator
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Lyon appeal relegation to Ligue 2 by financial regulator
Sports

Lyon appeal relegation to Ligue 2 by financial regulator

Last updated: June 25, 2025 12:39 pm
Agencies 1 year ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Seven-time Ligue 1 champions Lyon said on Tuesday they would appeal their relegation to the second-tier by French football’s financial watchdog.

At a hearing earlier in the day, Lyon were unable to convince the regulator (DNCG) to lift the restrictions it had put on the club in November.

“Over the past few months, we have worked closely with the DNCG, meeting all of its demands with equity investments exceeding the amounts requested,” the club said in a statement.”

After the meeting, Lyon’s president John Textor said he remained confident of avoiding the drop to Ligue 2 for next season, where the club has not played since 1989.

“Our liquidity situation has improved considerably,” he said.

American Textor took over as Lyon’s majority owner in December 2022 from long-standing boss Jean-Michel Aulas, who had overseen unprecedented success at the French outfit.

Textor, 59, also holds stakes in Brazilian side Botafoga, Belgian club Molenbeek. Earlier this week he sold his 43 percent stake in Premier League outfit Crystal Palace.

According to the BBC, they were sold for 190 million pounds to Woody Johnson, the owner of the NFL’s New York Jets.

Lyon have reduced their salary bill with attacker Alexandre Lacazette and goalkeeper Anthony Lopes released.

They have sold Rayan Cherki to Manchester City and Maxence Caqueret to Como.

Textor said his Eagle group has also put 83 million euros into the club.

“Thanks to the equity contributions from our shareholders and the sale of Crystal Palace, our cash position has improved considerably, and we have more than sufficient resources for the 2025-2026 season,” said the club statement.

‘Sadness’

Lyon qualified for next season’s Europa League after finishing sixth in the French top-flight.

If their relegation is confirmed, they would be replaced in Ligue 1 by Reims.

Lyon won seven consecutive French titles between 2002 and 2008, under Aulas.

“It’s a terrible blow to all those who love Lyon” Aulas said on X on Tuesday.

“For 36 years I made sure that such a situation could not happen.

“I gave everything to build a solid, respected, ambitious club that was financially healthy.

“Today, it’s sadness that dominates. And an immense failure to understand,” the 76-year-old added.

Only five clubs have won Ligue 1 more often. Paris Saint-Germain hold the record with 13 titles.

Lyon are set to begin their pre-season on July 7.

You Might Also Like

Como sign defender Chalobah from Chelsea

Mourinho says he agreed to replace Ferguson at Man Utd

Former Kenyan Rugby Star Daniel Adongo Deported to Kenya by US Immigration Authorities

Lamine Yamal ‘completes football’ at 19 as Argentina betray Messi

Messi denied dream farewell as abject Argentina lose World Cup final

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Kalonzo leads opposition in honouring fallen Gen Z protesters
Next Article Heavy police deployment, media blackout as Kenya marks anniversary of deadly 2024 protests

Latest stories

  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband
  • EACC Arrests Nine Over Alleged Sh1.57 Billion Government Funds Fraud
  • Gachagua Urges Mathira Residents to Block UDA Agents From Polling Stations
  • Kaluma Calls for Arrest of Orengo, Babu Owino, Sifuna Over Homa Bay Rally Violence
  • Ndindi Nyoro Announces Exit From UDA, Joins Opposition
  • Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive
  • Nick Mutuma Offers KSh100,000 Reward for Stolen Filming Equipment
  • Police Officer Dies, Eight Injured During Homa Bay Linda Mwananchi Rally

You Might Also Like

Fifa World Cup 2026

World Cup: Eight teams remain in the hunt for glory

1 month ago

Kenya Qualifies for FIFAe Continental Championship After Strong Africa Campaign

2 months ago

Kenya’s Angella Okutoyi Turns Professional, Relocates to London to Chase Grand Slam Dream

2 months ago

Basketball superstar LeBron James to leave LA Lakers

2 months ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE