By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: DCI Arrests 8 Students as Arson Probe Deepens Into Deadly Utumishi Girls Dormitory Fire
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » DCI Arrests 8 Students as Arson Probe Deepens Into Deadly Utumishi Girls Dormitory Fire
Top Story

DCI Arrests 8 Students as Arson Probe Deepens Into Deadly Utumishi Girls Dormitory Fire

Last updated: May 29, 2026 6:15 pm
Simiyu Wanjala 3 months ago
Share
5 Min Read
SHARE

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) has launched an intensive probe into the deadly dormitory fire at Utumishi Girls Senior Secondary School in Gilgil, Nakuru County, that left 16 students dead and shocked the nation.

In a statement issued on Friday, the DCI confirmed that eight students had been arrested as persons of interest over the suspected arson attack that destroyed part of the school’s Meline Waithera Dormitory on Thursday, May 28, 2026.

According to investigators, preliminary findings point to a planned act of arson, with detectives now working to establish the exact sequence of events and the motive behind the tragedy.

“Preliminary investigations have identified eight students as persons of interest in connection with the planning and execution of the suspected arson attack,” the DCI stated, adding that the students are currently being held in police custody.

The investigation has since been handed over to a special team led by the Director of Homicide following the completion of rescue and emergency response operations at the school.

The response operation involved a multi-agency effort coordinated by the National Police Service (NPS), with support from the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF), National Youth Service (NYS), Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS), Nakuru County Government, Kenya Forest Service (KFS), the National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) and the Ministry of Education.

Forensic experts and crime scene investigators have already processed the burnt dormitory as detectives continue gathering evidence. The DCI said the investigation team includes Crime Scene Investigators (CSIs), officers from the Crime Research and Intelligence Bureau’s Forensic Imaging and Acoustics Unit, as well as forensic DNA specialists.

Investigators established that the affected dormitory was a two-storey building, with the upper floor suffering extensive fire damage while the lower floor remained largely intact.

The upper section reportedly had 12 cubicles containing 135 double-decker beds.

A detailed search of the scene led to the recovery of 16 bodies, which were transferred to the Naivasha Sub-County Referral Hospital Mortuary pending post-mortem examinations and formal identification.

Detectives remain at the scene carrying out documentation and forensic analysis as they attempt to determine the exact cause of the blaze. Investigators are examining burn patterns, assessing electrical installations and determining whether accelerants were used to spread the fire.

The DCI further revealed that detectives have recorded statements from students, teachers and other witnesses, while forensic teams continue reviewing CCTV footage collected from the school.

“Detectives continue to record statements and analyse all available evidence to reconstruct the sequence of events, establish the full circumstances of the incident, and determine the motive,” the agency said.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Education has dissolved the Board of Management of Utumishi Girls Academy following preliminary findings that revealed serious violations of school safety regulations.

Education Cabinet Secretary Julius Ogamba said the board had failed to ensure compliance with the School Safety Manual and the Basic Education Regulations, citing overcrowding in the dormitory and the locking of one exit door during the incident.

“The Board of Management of Utumishi Girls Academy has been dissolved for failing to ensure compliance with the School Safety Manual and the Basic Education Regulations,” Ogamba said.

He noted that the school had violated mandatory safety requirements, particularly by allowing congestion in the dormitory and failing to keep all emergency exits accessible.

The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has also initiated disciplinary action against the school principal and two teachers over alleged negligence.

According to the ministry, the two teachers had reportedly received prior information about planned unrest involving a section of Form Three students but failed to take preventive action before the fire broke out.

Ogamba said the principal would also face disciplinary measures for failing to enforce school safety regulations and ensure compliance with the law.

“Two teachers were informed of planned unrest by a section of Form Three learners. However, the teachers did not take appropriate action before the arson, despite having been informed beforehand,” he stated.

The ministry further confirmed that preliminary investigations had established the fire was an act of arson, reinforcing earlier police reports following the arrest of the eight students.

The tragedy has reignited concerns over safety standards in Kenyan boarding schools, particularly the enforcement of emergency preparedness measures and dormitory safety regulations.

You Might Also Like

Sifuna Mocks Ruto Over Claims Uhuru Is Funding Opposition Ahead of 2027

Brother of Late Emurua Dikirr MP Johana Ng’eno Dies After Long Illness

Kaluma Calls for Arrest of Orengo, Babu Owino, Sifuna Over Homa Bay Rally Violence

Ruto Accuses Uhuru of Financing Opposition to Undermine His Government

Man Accused of Acid Attack on SDA Singer Mary Clare Ochieng Dies in Nairobi

TAGGED: Arson, CS Ogamba, Dead, fire, students, Utumishi Girls
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Rex Masai Shooting: Police unable to identify firearm that discharged the fatal shot
Next Article President Ruto signs three bills into law

Latest stories

  • M-Pesa Operator Shot During Robbery in Migori as Gunmen Steal KSh200,000
  • Sifuna Mocks Ruto Over Claims Uhuru Is Funding Opposition Ahead of 2027
  • Kenyan National Arrested in Zanzibar Over Alleged Illegal Tour Operations
  • University of Nairobi Ordered to Pay Graduate KSh3 Million Over Graduation List Removal
  • Kilimani Househelp Found Dead in Apartment in Suspected Suicide
  • Parliament Approves Duncan Ojwang as New IPOA Chairperson
  • Sifuna Calls Ruto ‘Biggest Problem in Kenya’, Urges Voters to Reject Him in 2027
  • Atwoli Denies Claims He Escaped Samburu Helicopter Crash
  • Ndindi Nyoro Welcomes Two UDA MCAs to PPK After Leaving Ruto’s Party

You Might Also Like

Ruto Gachagua Political Deal: Moses Kuria Predicts Possible 2027 Reunion

2 weeks ago

High Court Rules Kenya’s Next Election Should Be Held in August 2026

2 weeks ago

Police Inspector Arrested Over Alleged Sixth-Floor Push That Left Girlfriend Seriously Injured

2 weeks ago

IEBC Appoints Ruth Kulundu as Acting CEO

3 weeks ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE