By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
sauce.co.kesauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Reading: Angry Youths torch Mawego Police Post while carrying blogger Albert Ojwang’s coffin in protest over his death
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Font ResizerAa
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Search
  • News
  • Grapevine
  • Politics
  • Security
  • Business
  • Technology
  • Media
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Home » News » Angry Youths torch Mawego Police Post while carrying blogger Albert Ojwang’s coffin in protest over his death
Security

Angry Youths torch Mawego Police Post while carrying blogger Albert Ojwang’s coffin in protest over his death

Last updated: July 5, 2025 1:13 pm
Jessicah Mwambia 1 year ago
Share
3 Min Read
SHARE

Tensions boiled over in Homa Bay County on Thursday, July 4, 2025, as thousands of enraged youths stormed and set ablaze the Mawego Police Post in Rachuonyo East, carrying the coffin of slain blogger Albert Ojwang’ in a dramatic protest against police brutality.

Ojwang’, who died under mysterious circumstances while in police custody at Nairobi’s Central Police Station, had been arrested last month at his father’s home and initially detained at Mawego Police Station.

The youth-led demonstration occurred just a day before Ojwang’s scheduled burial.

“The coffin was intercepted by the youth at Lida shopping centre, about a kilometre from his home in Kokwanyo village,” a source told sauce.co.ke. “They insisted the body must be taken to the station where he was first held.”

What began as a funeral procession quickly turned volatile. The youth, disregarding pleas from Albert’s father, commandeered the coffin from the hearse and marched to Mawego Police Post, determined to confront what they view as the origin of his wrongful detention and eventual death.

At the station, a tense three-hour standoff ended in chaos as the demonstrators tore down barricades and set the station ablaze, including the Officer Commanding Station’s office, according to Homa Bay County Police Commander Lawrence Koilen.

“We condemn this criminal destruction of property. The officers had already vacated the post when the mob arrived,” Koilen told Citizen TV via phone.

Albert Ojwang’s death has emerged as a symbol of public outrage over growing police brutality and forced disappearances in Kenya. His case has drawn national attention, with activists, bloggers, and human rights groups demanding justice and accountability.

You can read more about Ojwang’s arrest and tragic death in our original report, which triggered widespread protests online and offline.

Ojwang’s body was initially slated for public viewing at Nyawango Primary School, but the day’s events took a dramatic turn as the crowd redirected the funeral procession to the police post.

The incident underscores rising public frustration and the increasingly confrontational stance by youth and activists toward the state, especially regarding the use of excessive force, arbitrary arrests, and lack of transparency in police operations.

No injuries were reported from the confrontation, but police are expected to launch investigations into the arson.

Human rights watchdogs are also pushing for an independent probe into Ojwang’s death, which they argue was state-sanctioned violence.

You Might Also Like

Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina

Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu

17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road

EACC Arrests Nine Over Alleged Sh1.57 Billion Government Funds Fraud

Two Killed in Grisly Range Rover Crash Along Nairobi’s Riverside Drive

TAGGED: Albert Ojwang, blogger death, Homa Bay news, human rights Kenya, Mawego Police Station, police brutality Kenya, Rachuonyo East, sauce.co.ke, youth protest
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Whatsapp Whatsapp Email
Previous Article Missing Blogger Ndiangui Kinyangi presents himself to court
Next Article Sarah Mtalii shuts down reunion rumours with ex-husband Simon Kabu after yacht photos go viral

Latest stories

  • Mother and Daughter Arrested Over KSh40 Million Land Fraud in Karatina
  • Ndindi Nyoro Declares 2027 Presidential Bid, Pledges to Back Opposition Unity
  • Tigoni ‘Park and Chill’ Spot Becomes Inaccessible After Resident Digs Trench
  • Seven Killed After Helicopter Crashes at Mt Ololokwe in Samburu
  • 17-Year-Old Arraigned Over Murder of Man Found Dead Along Thika Road
  • Samidoh Officially Enters Ol Joro Orok MP Race, Pledges to Champion Education
  • Sharon Otieno’s Family Supports Former Governor Okoth Obado’s Plea for Leniency
  • ‘Why Should I Suffer Alone?’ Woman Reveals How She Left Children at Their Father’s Workplace
  • Married Woman Confronts Pregnant Househelp Over Alleged Affair With Her Husband

You Might Also Like

JKUAT Student Accuses American National of Rape After Tinder Date in Westlands

3 days ago

Police Intercept Vehicles, Arrest 15 Suspects Headed to Homa Bay

4 days ago

Stolen AK-47 Recovered After Shootout With Suspected Gangsters in Machakos

5 days ago

Seven Dead, Over 30 Injured After Matatu Rolls Several Times in Makueni

5 days ago

Pages

  • About us
  • News
  • Privacy Policy
  • sauce.co.ke

Find Us on Socials

sauce.co.kesauce.co.ke
Follow US
All rights reserved. A publication of Mercury Communications KE